Monday, January 11, 2016

Charity


This week we had zone training and let's jsut say that President Casariego sure is changing the Mission Neuquen Argentina!  We ahve already gotten TONS of new rules but I think that one of the biggest to hit our mission is a new one they gave us this week.  From here on out we are not allowed to go to church unless we have an investigator...as in no I can't take the sacrament unless I bring an investigator with me to church.  It wouldn't be that crazy of a rule if we were always able to get investigators to church, but that isn't always the case!  The new rule has caused quite a stir with the missionaries and even members here because not many people are in agreement, but we will see how things go!  Yesterday my comp and I weren't able to go to church until the 3rd hour because none of our investigators or other people in the street that we talked to wanted to come to church, but it was a tender mercy when our investigator Luis showed up for the last hour.  I have a feeling that this rule is going to change a little bit by next week because it is causing quite a mess here in the mission!  

This week I want to quickly talk about one of Christ's many attributes, charity.  What is charity?  Moroni 7:45-47 says:
45And charity suffereth long, and is kind , and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked , thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 
46Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
47But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever ; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. 
Many people compare charity to the pure love of Christ but I think that it is even a little more than that.  Jesus Christ in Matthew 5:46 one said: "For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?"  It is easy to love.  I can love someone who loves me.  I love my little brother Torben and it is easy because I knows he loves me.  But what about those who don't love us?  Those that treat us poorly at school, at our workplace, or just in life?  Or in my case, those that close the door in my face day after day, laugh at me, or reject the greatest gift of all -- the gospel of Jesus Christ.  That is the difference love and charity.  Charity is loving those that don't love us.  I can honestly say that I haven't always been a charitable person, but as I have walked the streets for these past 14 1/2 months it is something that I have slowly been able to develop, as I still have lots of room to grow.  Leaving the pension knowing that the majority of the people you come in contact with that day are going to reject you is hard. Having people insult you and make you feel bad isn't easy.  But that is when charity comes in.  When I am able to make a conscious effort to remember the names (or write them down because there are so many) of the people who reject me each day so I can pray foir them at night.  That one day they might accept the gospel.  When I am able to grit my teeth or hold back tears and say "Have a great day!" after being treated like nothing.  Doing as Christ did as He walked the streets of Palestine and was treated as the farthest thing from "God's Beloved Son."  Charity.  Loving those who don't love us.  Christ loved us first, now it is our turn to love and forgive as He always does.  Have a fabulous week and know that I love you all so much!

Scripture of the week:
44But I say unto you, Love your enemies , bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 

xoxo
Hermana Anika Van Boerum

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS