Monday, April 20, 2015

Modern-Day Pioneers


I am loving Chos Malal more and more each and every day!! The people here are absolutely wonderful and so humble.  Although it has been a big adjustment, I have already learned so much and I finally feel apart of the church's "Chos Malal family" here!  Being here is a lot of work, but I can just see the potential that this small city has.  

In our pension, we have a letter from an LDS woman named, Mónica Vanuffelen, who was baptized in Neuquen City, then came to Chos Mala with 15 Books of Mormon (Book of Mormons?), and started preaching to this small city about 18 years ago.  That was the very beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ being planted in the hearts of the people here.  Mónica ended up moving back to Nequen, but continued doing all she could to bring the restored gospel to the people of Chos Malal.  In her letter she said that the people here already have testimonies of Christ, but what they really need, is a message of the restored gospel and the Prophet Joseph Smith.  It is such a blessing for me to be here because there are many people who have never heard anything of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints and I now have the opportunity to share it with them!  Often times I have though a lot about how the church members here are a lot like the pioneers.  They are starting with absolutely nothing and yet they are moving forward with so much faith in hope to one day have a running ward here in Chos Malal.  Before I even knew that I would be serving here, I had heard many times that this is an area of miracles.  But after two weeks serving here, I have seen for myself how truly special this place really is and I look forward to the few months I have to see the restored gospel wrought miracles in the lives of the faithful and humble people of Chos Malal.

Yesterday I finished Jesus the Christ.  Wow, what an amazing book.  My favorite part is at the end it says, "Then shall the Lord Jesus 'deliver up the kingdom, and present it unto the Father spotless, saying- I have overcome and have trodden the winepress alone, even the winepress of the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God.  Then shall he be crowned with the crown of his glory, to sit on the throne of his power to reign for ever and ever.' The earth shall pass to its glorified and celestialized condition, an eternal abode for the exalted sons and daughters of God.  Forever shall they reign, kings and priests to the Most High, redeemed, sanctified, and exalted through their Lord and God Jesus the Christ."     How truly blessed we are to be rescued, saved, and exalted by our very own brother, Jesus Christ.

I hope you all have a wonderful wonderful week and if you need a good book to read, read Jesus the Christ.  793 pages of the pure love of our Savior and our Father in Heaven.

Quote of the week:
From the eternal perspective, it's not whether I win the battle or not that counts, it's the way I kept on fighting.
-Spencer W. Kimball

p.s. Mom and Dad, I play the piano during Sacrament Meeting here in Chos Malal! Yes I play from and 'easy hymns' piano book, but my piano lessons paid off! haha after 9 years of hardly even playing, I am still quite rusty but hey at least I can kind of play!  love you guys!! love you toshy, britty, torby, and Jake!!

xoxo
Hermana Van Boerum

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS